What is cybersecurity?
Cybersecurity, network security or IT security is the protection of computer systems from the theft and damage to hardware, software, information from disruption or misdirection of the services they provide.
Cyber security is fought on the front lines of the network infrastructure including Intrusion Prevention Systems, Intrusion Detection Systems, Firewalls, Routers, Switches, server, computers and company employees. It is everyone’s responsibility.
In 2002 the IT security plan was having anti-virus on workstations and servers. Not much of a plan and as such, many companies were devastated by many different “virus/bugs”. 2018 and it feels very much the same as it did then. Security programs with no plan of action to prevent viruses and hacking. The only plan is how to stop it once it disrupts your company.
Here is the plan that was given to employees and IT teams.
1. Stop what you are doing
2. Call the helpdesk and open a ticket with the desktop services team.”
3. Desktop services would call you
4. Desktop tells you to unplug your computer from the network or turn off your computer
5. Desktop services would take the machine to IT security team
6. A member from the IT security team would go see the person that reported it and speak with them about it.
7. A specially crafted email would go out the next day, reminding everyone to be aware of unfamiliar emails and not to open them
8. Everything goes back to normal.
MOST VIP ARE NOT ON LARGE DISTRIBUTION LISTS, SO THEY DONT GET THE MEMO.
This is not the way of today, we must think preventive and predictive or nothing will change. We have to move the target for security way up on the priorities.